Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. March, 17, 1861: the Kingdom of Italy is born. Who was its first King?
2. Initially, the Kingdom of Italy didn't include Venice (under Austrian rule) or Rome (Papal State). Which was the first capital city?
3. Italian unification was preceded by half a century of political turmoil, insurrection and intrigue that marked the birth of a new nation and of a national identity. This period has a very romantic name. What is it?
4. On the political side, the "brain" behind the unification of Italy was a brilliant Piedmontese politician, Italy's first Prime Minister. Who was this man, who died only three months after the proclamation of the new state?
5. This man was a Risorgimento superstar, an international legend, the "Hero of the Two Worlds", famous for his fair beard, long hair, red shirt and military exploits. He's one of the Fathers of the Country. Who was he?
6. Giuseppe Mazzini, another Father of the Country, spent most of his life conspiring for the liberation and unification of Italy, organizing insurrection and fleeing into exile. In 1831, in Marseille, he founded a secret political society calling all patriots to popular insurrection. What did he call this society?
7. In what year did the Kigdom of Italy became a republic?
8. WWI: on which side did Italy fight?
9. 1943: Fascist Italy was invaded by Allied Forces landing in Sicily. The King sacked Mussolini and signed an armistice. Germany occupied northern and central Italy and established a new Fascist puppet state. What was it called?
10. Italy was born a poor nation: millions emigrated to find better life conditions. But politician had grandiose dreams and tried to pursue an imperialistic policy and to build an "empire" overseas. Which of the following never was an Italian colony?
Source: Author zordy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.