Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What trade did the Medici family deal in before they became masters of Florence?
2. Just two years before becoming Masters of Florence the entire Medici family was exiled from Florence.
3. What was the name of the man that effectively started the Medici dynasty in Florence by helping the people of the city overthrow their previous rulers in 1434?
4. The words 'Pater patriae' were carved on the the tomb of the first Medici ruler. What does this mean in English?
5. Late in the fifteenth century Florence reached its "golden age". Under the reign of Lorenzo de Medici Florence became known as "the first city of the Renaissance". When did he rule?
6. Which of these diseases plagued many members of the Medici family?
7. Lorenzo's work in building Florence's splendour was widely known and as such he was given a nickname. What was that nickname?
8. Despite all Lorenzo's successes there were those that wished him harm. In the spring of 1478 there was a conspiracy to overthrow the Medici by murdering both Lorenzo and his brother, Giuliano. What was the name of the conspiracy?
9. Lorenzo was known for his love of art. Which artist, when his poverty became made apparent, did Lorenzo give a room in the Medici palace to stay in and money to continue studying art?
10. When Lorenzo died in 1492, he was succeeded by his son, who did not seem to process the brilliance of his father and under whose rule the Medici were temporarily overthrown. What was the name of Lorenzo's son?
11. When the Medici were temporarily overthrown, Florence came under the rule of a fanatical, puritanical monk, named Savonarola, who turned Florence into a backward city.
12. When the Medicis were temporarily overthrown, Lorenzo's eldest son was killed in an attempt to recapture the city. However Lorenzo's other son, Giovanni, managed to escape the city disguised as what?
13. Giovanni Medici led an interesting life. After all his troubles he later grew up to be, of all things, elected Pope. What name did he take?
14. Giovanni died in 1521 but he was not the last of the Medicis to hold the title of Pope. In 1523 Giulio de Medici became Pope Clement VII. Was relation was he to Giovanni?
15. The Medici family penetrated many parts of the European hierarchy. The most famous would have to be Catherine de Medici, great granddaughter of Lorenzo, who effectively became ruler of France in the late sixteenth century. Whom did she marry to gain this postion?
Source: Author personx
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.