Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Columbia was originally scheduled to make its maiden voyage in what year?
2. Which astronaut served as the commander of Columbia's maiden voyage, April 12-14, 1981?
3. Which aviation manufacturer was the primary contractor for Columbia?
4. In terms of length and wingspan, Columbia most closely resembled which passenger jet aircraft?
5. Which of the following feats was Columbia NOT involved in?
6. Columbia flew the only successful mission of 1986, Mission 61-C, preceding the tragic mission of Challenger. On board that mission was the first active member of the US House of Representative to fly in space. Who was he?
7. The crew of STS-80, Columbia's 21st flight in space and the last flight of 1996, featured the oldest American to fly in space at that point.
8. The first satellite launch of the space shuttle series occurred on STS-5 in 1982, Columbia's fifth trip into space. One of those satellites, the Anik C-3, was launched for which country?
9. The next mission planned for the space shuttle Columbia after STS-107, STS-118, would have carried America's second Teacher-in-Space.
10. Which early space shuttle astronaut and Columbia pilot ended up succeeding Dr. James C. Fletcher as NASA Administrator in 1989?
Source: Author cag1970
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.