Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Decisions, decisions...One of the easiest ways to sample a wide range of Tex-Mex foods in one sitting is to order this plate-- a combination of beans, rice, guacamole, tacos, enchiladas, and fajitas.
2. "Machacado con Huevo a la Mexicana" is a robust breakfast dish, usually served with refried beans and flour tortillas. What is "machacado?"
3. So you overindulged the night before--too much tequila and beer? One of the most trustworthy "recovery meals" is a large, ice-cold goblet of raw shrimp, crab, octopus, and oysters, marinated in lime juice and served with cilantro,red cocktail sauce and slices of avocado. This delight is known by what apt name?
4. This Tex-Mex dish is not for the faint of heart--chopped kid goat hearts, kidneys and livers are combined with onions, peppers, and cilantro. This "interesting" mix is then wrapped in kid's intestines and grilled over mesquite coals.
5. No Tex-Mex cookout is complete without mollejitas. What are mollejitas?
6. I was recently served a truly enormous grilled red snapper, very beautifully arranged on a platter with avocado slices, rice, and piles of little hot corn tortillas. What did I order?
7. Now for "merienda," the Tex-Mex equivalent of teatime! A wonderful pastry made of two layers of sweet, flaky pastry surrounding raspberry jam is a bakery staple in Laredo. What is this pastry called?
8. Any quiz about Laredo cuisine would be incomplete without this dish, a rich stew made of red chili peppers, oregano, hominy, pigs feet and ... cubed tripe!
9. Around Christmastime, this warm drink, made of chocolate, milk, anise, cinnamon, and...corn masa is very popular.
10. What is the secret ingredient for "frijoles borrachos?"
Source: Author dianais
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Leau
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.