Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. 1337 (leet) is an Internet dialect that was first used for the purpose of encryption. "Leet" is a shortened form of what word, and why was it so named?
2. 1337 became popular with certain Internet users because its adaptable combination of letters, numbers, and symbols made it practically impossible to trace through traditional search methods, and allowed them to bypass censors. What is the leetspeak term for such an individual?
3. Though not "hardcore" 1337, the acronyms, emoticons, and abbreviated slang commonly used on the Internet are considered by some a part of the same dialect. What is this informal branch of Internet communication called?
4. If you use leetspeak when chatting with experienced computer hackers, they will know that you are "the real deal" and that you must be an expert hacker.
5. "1337" is not just a term for computer geeks. It is also the year that something began in Europe, lasting, not a century (as its name would imply), but 116 years. What word, written in leetspeak, describes the fighting that broke out in the year 1337?
6. If you enter the web address 600673.com into your browser, you will pay a visit to the leetspeak version of what popular search engine?
7. Another non-leetspeak use for the number 1337 is as a temperature. The melting point of what precious, yellow, "first place" metal is 1337 degrees Kelvin (in leetspeak, please)?
8. Is it a common practice in leetspeak to vary the capitalization of the words you are typing, as DeMoNSTRaTeD in this SeNTeNCe?
9. Some words that are often mistyped online have been adopted into 1337's vocabulary. What article, the most commonly used word in the English language, is an example of this?
10. Since leetspeak is not the easiest form of communication to read, you need to make sure that you use it in the proper arenas. Which of the following is the most likely place you'll see leetspeak, and the best time for you to use it without causing annoyance?
Source: Author darthrevan89
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor LadyCaitriona
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.