Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Opening the batting is Michael Stipe of REM. Which of these do you suppose is Michael's favourite cricket shot?
2. Ray Sawyer is opening at the other end, he comes to the crease humming a tune about "When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman". Ray is hampered by having to wear an eye patch and so can only play one type of shot. His nickname is Dr ___?
3. The fall of the first wicket brings new batsman Marvin Lee Aday to the crease.
Marvin manages to hit the first two deliveries he receives but the third ball misses his bat and completely demolishes his wicket. "Never mind Marvin," say his team-mates, "Two out of Three Ain't Bad". Marvin is more inclined to blame his equipment; "I'm trying to hit the ball with a "Bat out of Hell"!" he complains. How is Marvin better known?
4. The bowler is having trouble bowling the ball on a good length and is convinced the wicket has been marked too long. He asks the umpire if the length of the wicket can be checked and the umpire calls out the groundstaff to make sure the pitch has been accurately drawn. Acting as groundstaff for the day are Fleetwood Mac; what do they bring out to measure the pitch?
5. Each time a bowler has bowled six deliveries from one end the umpire calls loudly "It's Over". Who is standing as umpire?
6. The fielding captain decides it is time to change the players around. Where does he tell Harry Lime to go and field?
7. Two of the close fielders decide to try and put the batsman off by indulging in a bit of 'sledging' (shouting out comments designed to wind-up the batsman). It's all good natured stuff but they keep calling out "Rabbit" between balls. Who are these jokers?
8. A player arrives late for the match. He is undoubtedly a good player and could well bowl an (Iron) Maiden over but he is not sure which team he is on. He sees Suggs, Chas Smash and Daniel Woodgate in the dressing room and asks "Can I Play with Madness?" Who is the tardy bowler?
9. The next person to bat is a girl singer. She tells her partner not to expect any big shots as she is strictly a "Single Girl". Who is the new batter?
10. David Evans comes out to bat next. He is an enthusiastic batsman who tries hard to hit the ball in the middle of the bat but rarely succeeds. What is David's nickname?
11. Australian Daryl Braithwaite takes over bowling duties and immediately hits the batsman on his pads. What does the Sherbet frontman say to the umpire?
12. Two famous songwriters are batting together but their understanding of running between the wickets is not as good as their songwriting.
"You say yes, I say no, you say stop, and I say go, go, go"
That is a classic situation for a run-out; which two musicians are now at the wicket?
13. Although the match is only a bit of fun, one fielder is trying everyone's patience. He cannot stop the ball and whenever a catch comes his way the ball goes straight through his fingers. Who is this man with "Careless Hands"?
14. It has to be said that most of the batsmen are pretty hopeless, however there is one exception; one player hits the ball with minimum effort and with maximum effect. Pretty soon he has a century to his name, who is the guy with "Good Timin'"?
15. After the match is over the stars all get together for a party and a singalong. Top tune on the karaoke machine is "Dreadlock Holiday":
"I don't like cricket, oh no...
I love it!"
Admirable sentiments indeed but who had a number one hit with the song?
Source: Author Mutchisman
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.