Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. 'He scores when he wants, he scores when he wants, Robin van Persie, he scores when he wants..." sang Arsenal fans when RVP was playing for them. Fans of other teams also sang it for their top scorer of choice. The melody for this chant comes from the Bahamian folk song 'Sloop John B', and one particularly famous version is by the Beach Boys. On which album did it appear?
2. Many Liverpool fans on social media use the hashtag 'YNWA', which stands for 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. Gerry and the Pacemakers sang the version of the song played at Anfield before matches, but who wrote it?
3. Herman's Hermits were from Manchester, and during Jose Mourinho's tenure, a certain song by them was played at Old Trafford before matches (and after them if United won). The opening line is 'Woke up this morning, feeling fine/There's something special on my mind', but do you know the name of the song?
4. You fill up my senses
Lke a gallon of Magnet
Like a packet of Woodbines
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Sheffield
Like a greasy chip butty
Oh Sheffield United, come thrill me again!
That's 'The Greasy Chip Butty Song', Sheffield United's pre-game anthem. It is a parody of which John Denver song?
5. Manchester City adapted 'Right Here, Right Now' as their pre-match anthem in the early '00s. They've certainly come a long way, baby! Who was the DJ, real name Norman Cook, responsible for the song?
6. Sheffield Wednesday, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Aston Villa all adopted this song as a club anthem, but Jeff Beck, who recorded the most well-known version of it, likened it to having a pink toilet seat hung round his neck for the rest of his life. Which song would this be?
7. During the 2018 World Cup, England fans adopted an unlikely song as a football anthem: 'Whole Again' by the Liverpool/Cheshire girl band Atomic Kitten. Which member of the group was NOT in the original line-up?
8. Two pieces of instrumental music are associated with Chelsea FC. One of them is 'One Step Beyond' by Madness, whose singer Suggs is a Chelsea supporter. The other one is which reggae track by the Harry J Allstars?
9. Some football clubs' choices of anthem is...a little out there. Cambridge United, for instance, follow a winning match with a song about a type of fruit. It was recorded by both Danny Kaye and Freddy Martin And His Orchestra, and is a reference to a fairground tradition. Can you guess the title of this novelty tune?
10. 'No-one likes us, we don't care' runs a popular Millwall fan chant, which takes its melody from a Sutherland Brothers song called 'Sailing'. Which gravelly-voiced singer recorded his own version in '1975'?
Source: Author Kankurette
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor 1nn1
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.