Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. One of the most famous of all violin virtuosi was born in Genoa, Italy, in 1782. His playing was so far superior to that of his contemporaries that rumours abounded he had sold his soul to the Devil - rumours he did nothing to discourage. Who was he?
2. Born in 1831, this Hungarian violinist was a close friend of the composer Brahms, and in 1879 gave the first performance of his Violin Concerto in D, op 77. In 1903, four years before his death, he made some short, but historically valuable, recordings of music by Bach and Brahms, as well as his own compositions. What was his name?
3. The famous violinist Fritz Kreisler (1875-1962) is also remembered for a number of showpieces he composed as encores for himself to play. Which of the following is NOT one of his compositions?
4. The violinist Jascha Heifetz (1901-1987) gave the world premieres of violin concertos by a number of twentieth-century composers. Which of the following did NOT compose a violin concerto premiered by Heifetz?
5. Which great Russian violinist was a close personal friend of the composer Shostakovich, and gave the first performances of both of his violin concertos?
6. In 1932, this violinist, while still only 16, made a famous recording of Elgar's "Violin Concerto in B Minor" conducted by the composer. In later life, he founded the music school in Surrey, England, that bears his name. Who is he?
7. The violinist Isaac Stern, born in 1920, played a key role in preventing the demolition of which New York landmark?
8. Why was 10-year old Ida Haendel almost prevented from making her London debut in 1937, playing Beethoven's Violin Concerto at the Queen's Hall under the direction of Sir Henry Wood?
9. What action by the violinist Nigel Kennedy prompted the Controller of BBC Radio 3, Sir John Drummond, to accuse him of behaving like a "Liberace for the Nineties"?
10. The German-born violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter was married to which distinguished conductor, composer and pianist between 2002 and 2006?
Source: Author stedman
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor ertrum
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.