Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Developed accurate thermometers for meteorological use
2. Published a 1733 collection of aurora borealis observations (and developed the centigrade temperature scale)
3. Created the earliest existing weather records in the UK, starting in 1787 (and started modern theory of atomic structure)
4. Developed techniques to determine the direction of airflow within large weather systems
5. Developed theories to explain atmospheric circulation at mid-latitudes
6. Developed a system of telegraphic weather reports and weather forecasts in the late 19th century
7. Used balloons to gather data about upper layers of the atmosphere (and developed a climate classification system)
8. Showed relationships between meteorological events and associated geological and geographical events
9. Study of clouds led to development of cloud chamber used in research into radioactivity
10. Wrote 'The Thermodynamics of the Atmosphere', a standard meteorology textbook (and proposed the concept of continental drift)
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.