Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Jesse Owens was probably the first black athlete to come to the attention of the world when he competed in the 1936 Summer Olympics and won four gold medals. Of the following events, which one did Owens not win the gold?
2. Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson lost Olympic and World Championships records after being disqualified for doping. Johnson emigrated to Canada in 1976 from which country?
3. Carl Lewis has competed internationally in both track and field events. In which event did he set the world indoor record in 1984, and then win the next 65 times over a span of 10 years?
4. Linford Christie was the first British male athlete to win a gold medal in the 100m sprint in all four major track competitions. Which of the following is not one of those four majors?
5. Usain Bolt was the first man to win three sprinting events at a single Olympics (2008) since Carl Lewis in 1984, and the first man to set world records in all three at a single Olympics. Of the listed choices, which event did Usain Bolt NOT set the world record at the 2008 Olympics?
6. Who was the first Australian Aboriginal woman to win an Olympic Gold Medal?
7. Florence Griffith-Joyner won four medals at the 1988 Seoul Olympics. Of the following, which was her only silver?
8. After admitting to the use of performance-enhancing drugs, and agreeing to forfeit all prizes and medals won since September 2000, Marion Jones switched to playing another high-profile sport, basketball. Which WNBA team selected Jones in the third round of the 2003 draft?
9. Louise Stokes and Tydie Pickett became the first African-American women to do what?
10. Caster Semenya, a South African runner was ordered for drug tests by the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) after smashing her personal best times in both the 800m and 1500m in less than nine months. Which other test did the IAAF also order Semenya undergo?
Source: Author lones78
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.