Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. One of the most tourist-visited cities in the world is Paris, France. After all, it boasts the Eiffel Tower, the Champs Elysees, the Arc de Triomphe and the Cathedral of Notre Dame. There is, however, another site which attracts over 300,000 visitors annually, and somewhat surprisingly perhaps, it is a cemetery, the largest within the city limits of the French capital. Can you pick the proper plot?
2. The world is blessed with many beautiful ancient museums that draw millions of visitors year after year. If you want to see Botticelli's "Adoration of the Magi", you can find it in The Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy. If Edvard Munch' "The Scream" is more to your liking, just head to The National Gallery in Oslo, Norway. If however, you'd just as soon see some really, really, awful works, there is a museum for that as well. It is simply called "The Museum of Bad Art". Where would one find the MOBA?
3. What sophisticated world travelers could ever forgive themselves if they realized that in their globe trotting, they had failed to see a truly unique world site, the Museum of Toilets? They say it was formally dedicated on March 19, 1994, and I do NOT want to know exactly what they mean by that phrase. Take a seat and take a guess, where can this beautiful tribute to toiletry be found?
4. Not everyone's taste in movies is exactly the same. That's one reason the Asian Queer Film Festival is held every other year. It is an opportunity for filmmakers from any of the 49 recognized states, from Afghanistan to Yemen, to showcase their work. Each event includes film-watching and discussion. Guest speakers from the industry are also invited. Where in Asia does this take place?
5. Remember back in 1963, when Alfred Hitchcock scared the bejeezus out of folks when flocks of our fine-feathered friends wreaked havoc in CA, with "The Birds"? OK, that was at least fathomable since most birds do, in fact, fly. On the other hand, fish usually don't. But they can be seen flying through the air as "part of the show" for tourists at Pike Place Fish Market. Can you name the location of this popular American spot without floundering?
6. Everybody's taste is different about where they would like to spend their vacation time touring. Before I go any further with this one, I must ask a rather personal question. Are you now, or have you ever been a vampire?
If so you might want to skip the annual British Garlic Festival which has been held since the mid-eighties in the town of Newchurch. Where in the Kingdom is Newchurch?
7. Located on the Iberian Peninsula, Spain is one of the most visited countries in the European Union, and the world. Its over 45 airports welcome in excess of 50 million tourists annually. From Barcelona to Valencia, Cordoba to Toledo, you can see some of the most beautiful artworks in the world displayed at the many museums throughout the country. If you had a hankering to see works in the beautiful Prado Museum, what city would you have to visit?
8. In 2007, "Harpers" magazine published an issue which listed the most frequently visited tourist attractions around the globe. It also showed the estimated number of travelers who went to each of the sites annually.
You've probably heard of most of the top 25, and perhaps even visited a few. Which of the following was NOT included in the top 25?
9. On the list of "Forbes" magazines most visited tourist attractions worldwide, some places that you might expect to see in the top 25 didn't make the list, while others which you may not have expected to crack the top 25 in fact did. Only one of the following sites was part of the 25 most popular tourist attractions in the world. Can your sense of direction lead to the proper place?
10. Machu Picchu is one of the most visited sites in all of South America. It is believed to have been built as a palatial estate in the mid-15th century. Machu Picchu stood virtually unknown to the rest of the world until 1911, when American explorer Hiram Bingham came upon it. In which S.A. country is it located?
Source: Author paulmallon
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.