Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In which state of India is Malayalam most spoken? It is this state's official language.
2. One of the most useful things to know when first learning a language is how to say "I don't know this language" in that language! So how do you say "I don't know Malayalam" in "Malayalam"?
3. You said you don't know Malayalam but the hotel receptionist doesn't understand your language. So, using your handy Malayalam phrasebook, how do you tell him you're hungry?
4. The attendant hears you and says "Ente pinnil varu saare". What does that mean in Malayalam?
5. You are in the restaurant, and the waiter comes up and declares "Innu choodu chor undu". What is on the menu today?
6. The waiter also says "Innu saambarum avialum theeyalum undu." He is telling you what else is on the menu, so can you guess what the suffix "-um" means in Malayalam?
7. After all that food you retire to your room. While you try to sleep, the phone rings. You answer, and the receptionist says "Ningalkku oru adhiti undu". What did he say in Malayalam now?
8. The tour guide sticks his head into your room. "Sorry for disturbing your sleep but I recall that you have booked a tour of Kochi kayal today" he says. What geographical feature is a "kayal"? Hint - where would Kochi be?
9. Then the guide tosses you a can of insect repellent, saying "Ivide kore kothu undu". What are these "kothus" that you'll be facing?
10. Now that you have played my quiz, I would like to say "nandi". What am I telling you in Malayalam?
Source: Author achyutj415
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.