Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Like other commercial aircraft in the Lockheed line, the L-1011 had a nickname. What nickname was attached to this plane?
2. The L-1011 arrived on the market in 1972, one year later than expected. Its debut was delayed due to problems with what company, which was originally tasked with supplying the aircraft's engines?
3. Although American Airlines was the catalyst for development of the L-1011, which airline actually took delivery of the first L-1011 in 1972?
4. The L-1011's legacy was tarnished by controversy in February, 1976, when it was revealed that Lockheed had bribed the leader of what country in return for an airline buying the aircraft?
5. One of the worst aviation accidents in history involved Saudia Flight 163 in August, 1980. An L-1011 was consumed by fire, and a total of 301 people were killed, after the aircraft made an emergency landing in which city?
6. In July, 1992, another L-1011 was involved in a fire, when TWA Flight 843 was destroyed after an aborted takeoff at New York's John F. Kennedy Airport. What city was TWA Flight 843's planned destination?
7. Delta Air Lines Flight 191, an L-1011, crashed in August, 1985, on approach to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, in an infamous episode of wind shear. One of the 128 passengers killed in the disaster was Don Estridge, the man who led the effort to develop what well-known product?
8. A number of L-1011s formerly used as commercial passenger carriers were converted for use as military refueling tankers in the mid-1980s, to serve in whose air force?
9. For many years, Orbital Sciences Corporation has used an L-1011 modified to launch Pegasus rockets into orbit around the Earth. What nickname was given to this modified L-1011 aircraft?
10. Between 1972 and 1985, how many L-1011s were delivered for use?
Source: Author cag1970
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.