Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Aaron visits his doctor because of concerns about his disappearing hair. The doctor confirms that he has male pattern baldness but, being medical, he uses the scientific name for this condition which is what?
2. The doctor explains to Aaron that male pattern baldness can also affect members of the animal kingdom. Which of these animals is most likely to suffer from the condition?
3. Aaron returns home to his wife Alana and shares the diagnosis. She sympathises but adds that she's "grateful that it's male pattern baldness and not female pattern baldness". Is she right to feel so confident?
4. Aaron attends a support group where he learns a lot more about his condition. There he meets Andy, who suffers from hair loss due to trichotillomania. What exactly is this condition?
5. When Aaron returns home from his meeting, Alana is in bed so he decides to do a bit more research on the Internet. He discovers that scientists have hypothesised which of the following evolutionary reasons for male pattern baldness?
6. Aaron is getting more and more serious about his research and now begins to explore the world of scientific papers. He discovers that a 2009 Japanese study identified the significance of Sox21. What is Sox21 purported to be?
7. More and more hair is disappearing so Aaron's doctor refers him to a specialist who rates him as VI on the Hamilton-Norwood scale. Aaron asks him whether this is good or bad. What does the specialist reply?
8. Aaron continues to attend his support group and spends a lot of time talking to Andy. After a while, though, he begins to question just how true some of Andy's "facts" really are. Which of the following statements about male pattern baldness is the only one that is true?
9. And so Aaron moves toward the key question, "Toupee or not toupee?". But, before he does, he investigates whether there might be treatments available that could regrow his hair. He finds a myriad of products but are all of these products sufficiently scientifically proven, to the standards of the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA)?
10. Toupée or not toupée? Aaron is discovering that baldness can induce distinct and disturbing psychological effects. Studies have consistently shown that people identify baldness with weakness. It may not come as a great surprise to Aaron, therefore, that which of the following "strong" men chose to cover up their baldness?
Source: Author glendathecat
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor crisw
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.