Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. A British sprinter who won the 200 metres gold medal at the 1990 Commonwealth Games, also competed in the two-man bobsleigh event at the 2002 Winter Olympics at Salt Lake City. Can can you name him?
2. This remarkable marathon runner, the winner of Olympic Gold in 1960, did so without wearing the customary footwear to assist him in his pursuit. Who was this incredible athlete?
3. This former Russian woman athlete specialised in the shot put, and in 1987 recorded a world record throw of 22.63 metres. She may not be an athlete who immediately springs to mind, but perhaps you can name her from the following options?
4. This British Olympian, who specialised in the 400 metres, is remembered not for winning a medal at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, but for being recorded as "Did Not Finish" in the 400 metres semi-final. Does this incident jog your memory as to the identity of this unfortunate athlete?
5. Born in Australia in 1938, this middle distance runner never lost a race over the distance of one mile, an event in which he competed on 36 occasions. Do you think you can name him?
6. Spectacular is an adjective wholly appropriate to describe the achievements of this athlete. She excelled at top level in both the 200 and 400 metres races and in their respective relays between 2005 and 2022, winning 6 Olympic Gold Medals and 14 World Championship Gold Medals in addition to numerous Silver and Bronze awards . Her elegant running style was always a joy to behold, so who is this supreme athlete?
7. In 1976 this runner from Trinidad and Tobago became the first-ever Olympic champion representing his country. He was competing in the 100 metres at the Montreal Olympics, do you know or can you remember his name?
8. A world record for the triple jump was set in 1995 by this British athlete. He is listed below, but do you know or can you remember his name?
9. A world record which lasted for many years was set by this US athlete at the 1968 Mexico Olympics in the long jump. He recorded a jump of 8.90 m (29 ft 2 in), which broke the existing record by an incredible margin of 55 cm (21¨ø in) and stood for almost 23 years. So who was this incredible athlete?
10. This Kenyan athlete claimed consecutive Olympic Gold Medals in the 800 m. Firstly at London in 2012 followed by another winning performance at Rio de Janeiro in 2016. What is his name?
Source: Author moonraker2
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.