Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The green lacewing insect species Semachrysa jade featured on the 2013 IISE list, and is remarkable for which of these reasons?
2. Cercopithelicus lomamiensis, a species of Old World monkey commonly called the lesula, was familiar to locals in the Lomami Basin, but unknown by the scientific community before it was first reported in 2007, and confirmed in 2012. It appeared on the 2013 IISE list because of its human-like eyes and blue bottom. In what country was it hiding from general knowledge?
3. The 2013 IISE list of the Top Ten New Species from 2012 included Paedophryne amauensis, considered to be the smallest known vertebrate. What kind of vertebrate is it?
4. The 2014 IISE list of the Top Ten New Species included Edwardsiella andrillae, a sea anemone that was chosen because of its unique habitat. Where was the so-called ANDRILL anemone found?
5. The olinguito, included on the IISE 2014 list because it was the first new carnivorous mammal described in the Western Hemisphere in over 30 years, belongs to which family?
6. Zospeum tholussum, a blind air-breathing land snail with a transparent shell, featured on the 2014 IISE list because of its unusual habitat. Where in Croatia were they discovered?
7. When it was included on the 2014 IISE list, Tinkerbella nana was the smallest known flying arthropod. What is the common name for Mymaridae, the family to which it belongs?
8. Limnonectes larvaepartus, a fanged frog discovered on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, made its way onto the 2015 IISE list because of an unusual feature in its method of reproduction, which is suggested in its specific name. What is unusual about the young frogs?
9. Deuteragenia ossarium, a spider wasp discovered in China, made the 2015 IISE list because of the way they protect their larvae. Their specific name reflects this technique, which involves building multi-chambered nests and filling one of the chambers with dead ants. By what name are they commonly known?
10. Phyllopteryx dewysea, a new kind of marine fish, was first identified as a new species when genetic analysis of a tissue sample from a specimen collected off the coast of Western Australia showed it was not one of the two then-known species of its genus. What is its common name?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor guitargoddess
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.