Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. If you're on an Australian beach and somebody points out a bluebottle, pay attention! That sting is going to hurt. By what other name is a bluebottle often known?
2. The blue damselfly, Enallagma cyathigerum, roams Europe, hunting smaller insects to survive. What type of habitat does the damselfly prefer?
3. Of all the blue butterflies in the world, those of the genus Morpho, native to South and Central America stand out for their brilliant hue and spectacular shine. Where does their color come from?
4. In addition to its pleasingly alliterative scientific name, Thunnus thynnus is a valuable food fish with a dark blue back and a pale underbelly. By what blue name is it more commonly known?
5. The okopipi, or Dendrobates tinctorius, is a brilliant blue frog from the far north of South America. Its common English name is inspired by the characteristics of its skin, but not in the way you might imagine. By what other name is this frog known?
6. Agama agama is also known as the red-headed rock agama or rainbow agama. As the picture shows, though, it's still a good fit for this theme - as long as you catch it at the right time. Under what circumstances can you find an agama with a bright blue body?
7. Popularly associated with happiness, this bluebird will doubtless be happier still once it figures out where its next meal is coming from. What does the bluebird generally prefer to eat?
8. The aptly named blue-and-yellow macaw is a large, intelligent bird that's popular as a pet. On which continent can these birds be found in the wild?
9. This primate's brown fur is standard-issue; not so the blue facial ridges or the rear end that ranges from bright red to blue to purple! What's the name of this large monkey, whose range is a small coastal region of equatorial West Africa?
10. The blue whale is enormous - in fact, as far as we know, it's the largest animal that's ever lived on Earth. Its heart alone weighs 600 kilos (1300 lb)! To support that kind of bulk, what is its primary food?
Source: Author CellarDoor
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.