Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. These animals are hermaphroditic- both male and female at the same time. While mating, they shoot each other with 'love darts.'
2. In some species of this animal, the male lives only as a parasite upon the female.
3. Males of these animals produce a secretion that literally glues the female shut after mating, hopefully keeping other males from fathering offspring.
4. The female of this animal has a walnut-sized body and a tongue almost three feet long. Larvae of this creature are born sexless, but if they smell the tongue of a female, they will turn into males, settle on the tongue, and become a parasite on the female.
5. Males of these animals explode while mating (thus injecting a device into the female that permanently inseminates her) and die soon afterwards.
6. Mating in these animals can last 56 hours.
7. Males of this species build an elaborate structure of twigs and leaves to attract a mate, decorating it with shells, feathers and flowers (especially blue ones).
8. In one species of this animal, no males exist. Females produce young without males, the young being clones of themselves.
9. If the male of a harem of these animals dies, the largest female in the harem becomes a male and takes over the job.
10. These animals gather in huge 'mating balls' composed of many animals. Usually, there is only one female in the center.
Source: Author crisw
This quiz was reviewed by our editing team before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.