Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Eastern chipmunks are classified in the genus Tamias, and it's fitting because of their busy, careful habits with nuts and seeds. What does Tamias mean in Greek?
2. The name "chipmunk" may come from one or more Native American names, but in English, chipping, chip, chit, chipper, and such sounds are frequently used in the animal's various names. Why, according to etymologists' best guesses?
3. There's the Siberian chipmunk in Asia, but where are all other chipmunks found?
4. How do chipmunks carry food that they don't want to eat right away, but need to transport?
5. Do chipmunks hibernate? This isn't an easy yes or no question, because chipmunks have that stash of food they gathered.
6. How many litters a year do chipmunks have? The east and west genuses need to get coordinated on this.
7. Chipmunk burrows -- what are they like?
8. How many hours a day does a chipmunk sleep on average, not counting hibernation? This surprised me, because they always seem to be on the go, busier than humans are.
9. How long before chipmunk babies are ready to go outside the burrow? As small as they are, you'd think they'd be so much faster than dogs and cats, but they really aren't.
10. How friendly are chipmunks with others? Do they live in large groups? Perhaps they don't see each other as cute as we see them.
Source: Author littlepup
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor rossian
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.