Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. With Boris Arson behind bars in the "Dick Tracy" comic strip, we find Mary Steele has taken her reward money from the Arson case and built a new restaurant, once again shaped like a coffee pot. She has hired a pretty young girl named Toby Townley. Toby takes Mrs. Steeles money to the bank where her boyfriend, Mark Masters, is the teller. He takes the money and bets it on horses, then returns it to Mrs. Steele's account. This of course leads to disaster when one of his hot tips doesn't come through, and his bookie, Joe, blows him up in the bank with an explosive which looks like a roll of quarters. Eventually Tess is kidnapped (again) and Bookie Joe sets a horse barn on fire trying to escape from the police. He runs into the blazing barn after being handcuffed in an attempt to escape Dick Tracy. In his first 'poetic' death, Chester Gould shows Bookie Joe falling through a hole in the burning barn loft, and getting hung by his neck. What was it that the horse racing bookie got caught in?
2. Chester Gould takes us inside a women's prison in the "Dick Tracy" comic strip. Accused of murdering a police officer who was actually killed by Bookie Joe's accomplice Blake, Toby Townley goes to prison. The prisoners riot and Toby locks herself inside a closet just as a tear gas canister goes off inside. She loses her eyesight temporarily. Tracy has just cleared Toby of the crime by hooking Blake up to a device used once already in "Dick Tracy". What was the device?
3. In the "Dick Tracy" comic, Cut Famon is being released from Alcoretz prison after doing time for income tax evasion. What famous criminal would this make Famon similar to?
4. Cut Famon's brother, Muscle runs a gas station in "Dick Tracy". Spying on the station, Tracy sees a crowd of people exiting the building one night. Since the building is not large enough to accommodate that many, he suspects an underground room. What does he do to make sure there is a secret room?
5. The Famon gang is held up by one of their own, Bail Gordon. In the "Dick Tracy" comic strip, Tracy has been seen secretly talking to Gordon a few times. The real Bail Gordon is in jail in Boston, and this is an FBI man in disguise. Who is this G-man who will now have a recurring role in the strip?
6. Cut and Muscle Famon are being led out of Muscle's gas station by the G-man in "Dick Tracy". Cut hits a hidden switch with his foot and alerts Ma Famon, who grabs a tommy gun and rescues them. The trio hide in an old house with police surrounding it. Muscle and Ma are killed in the gunfight, and Cut escapes in Ma's clothes. After an extended chase, Cut Famon and his main henchman, Kent are stopped on a rural road and handcuffed. But the Famon car has a James Bond "Goldfinger"-like secret. What secret does the car possess which disables two of the policemen?
7. In the "Dick Tracy" comic strip, Chester Gould provides a murder mystery. Addie Gothorn, a big underworld figure, has been murdered. The first suspect, Lips Manlis is cleared, but still under suspicion. Athnel Jones, a retired refrigerant manufacturer is another suspect. Tracy finds the bullet wound which killed Gothorn has no bullet in the wound, and with information from the FBI, realizes the man is killing with ice pellets. When he and Pat Patton are held at gunpoint by Jones, Tracy begins talking to stall for time. What does this accomplish?
8. In late 1936, we find Dick Tracy questioning known underworld leader Lips Manlis about his role in the death of Addie Gothorn. Admitting he has no evidence against Manlis, Tracy asks him to do something surprising. What does he ask Lips to do?
9. Lips Manlis' old gang finds him guarding a warehouse in "Dick Tracy". First they try to get him back, then to discredit him by burning the warehouse. Eventually his ex-girlfriend, Mimi, crashes her car into a truck driven by Manlis. She is injured in the wreck, and needs surgery. What surgery does she have?
10. Mimi swims to a boat owned by a Chinese man named Toyee in her undergarments in the "Dick Tracy" comic. Toyee refuses to hide her because she has refused his advances before. He takes her back to shore where they find Dick Tracy, Pat Patton and Bob Honor waiting to arrest them. Toyee's men are cutting up large tuna fish. Tracy arrests Mimi, but Toyee disappears. Where did he hide?
Source: Author knto
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor kyleisalive
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.