Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In Chester Gould's "Dick Tracy", we follow the villain Flattop from his leaving a train to his hotel where he meets his contact. What is Flattop's profession?
2. Chester Gould wastes no time in introducing his hero to Flattop in the "Dick Tracy" comic. What is the crook and his minions doing which gets Tracy's attention?
3. In the "Dick Tracy" comic, Flattop and his henchmen have Tracy at gunpoint in the floor of a cab in a secluded spot. Flattop muses about his pay, saying some jobs are worth $1000, some $2000. This one is worth $5000! Tracy makes a somewhat humorous offhand comment which apparently saves his life. What did he say?
4. In the "Dick Tracy" comic, Flattop takes Tracy to his apartment where he calls his employers and demands $50,000. Three tommy gun wielding men guard Tracy at all times, but he and Flattop occasionally trade barbs, which Flattop seems to enjoy. While playing the piano, Tracy stomps his foot heavily on the floor. What is he doing?
5. In the "Dick Tracy" comic, Flattop's employers have agreed to the $50,000 price he had asked for. He calmly screws a silencer on his gun, turns up the radio and tells Tracy 'brace yourself copper'. With a tommy gun in his back and Flattop's automatic point blank at his heart, Tracy hears morse code through static on the radio (sit tight help coming) from Patton and realizes he is on his own. As Flattop counts to three, what is the desperate act Tracy attempts?
6. After the shootout, Flattop is on the run in the "Dick Tracy" comic. While losing himself in a crowd on a subway, he tries to decide what to do. A young teenager inches closer and closer to Flattop. What is he trying to do?
7. Dick Tracy is nicked in his side by a bullet in the Flattop shootout. He has the newspapers print news of his death while he is being bandaged in Flattop's apartment. Why does he have the newspapers print his death?
8. Bud Jenkins has found out who Flattop is in the "Dick Tracy" comic. He continually blackmails the killer and spends lavishly. After buying pocketknives and betting on the horses, Bud stares at something in a sporting goods store which he has always wanted. What was he staring at?
9. In the "Dick Tracy" comic strip, Flattop is alone in his rented room musing about how Bud Jenkins is 'not a fit person to associate with'. He decides he is carrying too much money and looks around the house for a place to hide it. Where does he hide the $50,000?
10. In "Dick Tracy", Flattop exits the Jenkins house by the window before Tracy can enter his rented room. But rather than dropping to the ground, Flattop climbs onto the roof. Hearing the police following him up, Flattop hides in the only cover he can find-the chimney. As the reader sees Patton wondering where he could have gone he also sees a cut away view of Flattop in the chimney and wonders how he will ever get out. But he slips down a little way and his feet hits something soft, causing something to fly out of the chimney. What came out?
11. Covered with soot, Flattop comes across a street hawker selling a cleaning agent. Hawker Davis tells Flattop the solution is a fake, but Flattop pulls a gun and forces him into a deserted hallway to clean his coat. In "Dick Tracy" what does Hawker Davis reveal is really in the bottles?
12. Flattop, with Hawker Davis' identity, takes a room in a motel. But one of Davis' war bonds blows out of the open window and into the hands of a newsboy announcing Hawker Davis' death. He tells a policeman at once as Flattop watches from his room. With police entering the motel, Flattop realizes he must hide inside the building. He enters the apartment of one of the most colorful of Chester Gould's "Dick Tracy" characters, Vitamin Flintheart. What is Flintheart's occupation?
13. Dick Tracy and Pat Patton take the nerve wracked Vitamin Flintheart to the theater where the disguised Flattop had been taken by a taxi. Flintheart was to point out Flattop from his makeup which Flattop had stolen. In the "Dick Tracy" comic, Vitamin Flintheart singles out a young man leaving the theater who is wearing his costume. Tracy realizes that it is not Flattop, but Patton sees Flattop drawing a bead on Tracy from the theater and shoots first. Where did Pattons' shot hit Flattop?
14. In Chester Gould's "Dick Tracy", Vitamin Flintheart is in anguish after seeing the shooting of Flattop and takes to drink. While in a bar, he drunkenly reaches into his pocket for money and pulls out Flattop's gun which terrifies him. Dropping it on the bar, it fires and the bullet hits what?
15. Flattop and Vitamin Flintheart are in jail cells across the hall from each other in "Dick Tracy". Flintheart has a terrible hangover and demands room service from the police, who are somewhat amused. They get him a hot water bag and aspirin in a glass bottle, much to Flattop's amusement. After conning Flintheart out of his items, Flattop makes a slingshot out of the rubber water bag, breaks the aspirin bottle and shoots the broken glass into what?
16. Flattop and Vitamin Flintheart are on the lam after escaping jail in "Dick Tracy". Flattop knows of a good hiding spot, a replica of a famous ship in the lake. What famous ship is this?
17. While hiding on the replica ship with Flattop, Vitamin Flintheart tosses an item into the lake which leads Dick Tracy to the lakeside. In the "Dick Tracy" comic, what did he throw away?
18. In the "Dick Tracy" comic, police walk the shore of the lake trying to find a clue to Flattop or Vitamin Flintheart's whereabouts. Dick Tracy notices something about the replica ship which makes him think Flattop may be hiding on it. What did he see?
19. Police arrive and board the replica ship in the "Dick Tracy" comic only to find a sleeping Vitamin Flintheart who gladly surrenders. But Flattop is nowhere to be seen. Where was he?
20. Dick Tracy dives in the water under the boat to pursue Flattop. He realizes the ship has no hull and dives beneath in pursuit of the crook. His foot soon hits something soft and Tracy finds Flattop has drowned beneath the ship. What actually caused his demise?
Source: Author knto
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor kyleisalive
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.