Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Dick Tracy has a splitting headache after the Mrs. Pruneface case is over. Directed to Dr. Crawford by Chief Brandon, Tracy finds the doctor is out of his office. He calls on Dr. I. O. Dyne next door and is waited on by a large freckled man who checks him out and gives him aspirin. What was it about the doctor which Tracy remembered most?
2. Chester Gould uses 'poetic' deaths in his "Dick Tracy" comic strip to emphasize his criminals' persona. Tire bootlegger B-B Eyes was trapped by a used tire in his last moments; piano playing 88 Keyes stuffed recently murdered singer Jinny inside a piano. How had Laffy killed Dr. I. O. Dyne?
3. Laffy Smith sells his forged prescriptions to his contact, Needles, in "Dick Tracy". Needles becomes very angry when Laffy tells his he might quit the racket, threatening Laffy's life. Laffy proceeds to get Needles drunk, then excuses himself, goes outside and stands at the rear fender of Needles' car. What has Laffy done?
4. Dick Tracy finds a list of prescriptions in the office of the late Dr. I. O. Dyne which are supplying Laffy's drug ring. Selecting a name at random (Lois Lansen) he takes an apartment across from hers and begins watching her every move. How are her drugs delivered?
5. Like many an addict before her and many after, Lois Lansen is out of money and has hocked her jewelry for drugs. In Chester Gould's "Dick Tracy", what type of business does Laffy go to to get money for the jewelry?
6. In the "Dick Tracy" comic strip, Lois Lansen is saved from suicide by Tracy after realizing she has a drug problem. In attempting to jump off a high building, she attracted a large crowd below. As Ziggy shows Laffy the newspaper story of Tracy saving Lois, Laffy contracts lockjaw with his mouth locked open. What was he doing when it happened?
7. The doctor who is to treat Laffy for lockjaw in "Dick Tracy" recognizes him from a 'wanted' picture he has seen. What unethical action does he take to both treat Laffy's lockjaw and subdue him?
8. In the "Dick Tracy" comic strip, Tracy and Patton get to the doctor's office in time to save the doctor and nurse from Laffy's chloroform. But Laffy has left behind a clue. What was it?
9. In "Dick Tracy", local war hero Kirk Smith who is being honored by the mayor wants to see his brother, Laffy. Kirk has gunned down thirty Japanese in New Guinea. Tracy shows him into Laffy's cell, where he lays very ill. Laffy pretends not to know Kirk, but asks if he is making the Christmas music he can hear. Kirk responds, "No. The only music I make is with..." What does Kirk say he makes music with?
10. "Dick Tracy" writer Chester Gould went from one story line to the next so smoothly the reader hardly knew when it had switched. On December 21, 1943 we see police discussing Laffy's death in the first two panels. In the third we see Lt. Kirk Smith boarding a train back to the war in the Pacific. In the background of the final panel we see Lt. Smith entering the train, recognized by a few people. In the foreground the reader sees a strange looking man getting off the train. He has a flat head, little round mouth, freckles and a unibrow and is asking for directions. Who is this most famous of all Tracy villains?
Source: Author knto
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor kyleisalive
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.