Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In the world of the theatre, a pair of masks have come to represent drama. They are commonly referred to as 'the comedy tragedy masks' with one mask smiling and the other sad. Which two Greek Muses do they represent?
2. A popular radio show from the 1930s that expanded into television, movies, animation, books, comic books and even video games often had characters blurt out the question, "Who was that masked man, anyway?"
Well, who was he?
3. Comic book superheroes are often masked to protect their identities. This isn't always the case, however. Which of these superheroes doesn't wear a mask when in costume?
4. With origins in the 15th century 'Carnival,' the practice of the nobility throwing huge parties where the guests wore elaborate masks remained popular through to the 18th century. What were they called?
5. The silver screen has provided many opportunities for masks to be worn by heroes and villains, both real (historical) and imaginary (fictional). Which of these masked characters seen on film was based on a historical figure?
6. Staying with the movies, what was the name of the comic book film that featured a character whose mask had shifting patterns on it that mimicked Rorschach inkblots?
7. Masks are not always physical things pulled over one's face, but are sometimes painted on as well. What type of street performer is often seen with a painted-on mask of white with black (typically) at the eyes, eyebrows and lips?
8. What is the name of the Japanese theatre, begun in the 14th century by father and son actors Kan'ami (1333-84) and Zeami (1363-1443), where the performer wears a nearly expressionless mask, requiring expression through movement and voice?
9. In the world of video games, a popular title from Nintendo was released in the year 2000 for the N64 gaming platform. What was it called?
10. Commonly seen today, in what genre of entertainment was the practice of wearing masks begun by Mort Henderson in 1915 when he assumed the persona "The Masked Marvel"?
Source: Author reedy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor kyleisalive
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.