Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Once upon a time, there was a large country in South America that included the territories of present-day Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Panama, as well as parts of Peru, Guyana and Brazil. What was it called?
2. Brazil is the largest country in South America and the fifth largest country in the world (in terms of area). It borders all but two of the countries in South America. Which of the following countries does NOT share a border with Brazil?
3. Ecuador is a rich and beautiful country in the northern part of South America. It is named for a particular geographic feature that cuts through the country. What is it?
4. One of South America's beloved authors had three houses in his native country. Shaped like a boat, and located about an hour and a half's drive from the nation's capital, Santiago, which author lived at Isla Negra?
5. Though Spanish is the official language for most of the countries in Central and South America, some countries have more than one official language. Paraguay, for example, has both Guarani and Spanish as its official national languages.
6. One South American country is named for the Latin word for "silver", which one is it?
7. The Panama Canal was under United States' control for many years, but it reverted back to the Panamanians on December 31, 1999 through a treaty agreement signed by which U.S. President?
8. The fourth highest mountain peak in the Western Hemisphere and South America is Huascaran, after Aconcagua (in Argentina), Ojos del Salado (on the Argentina-Chile border), and Monte Pissis (also in Argentina). Huascaran is located in the northern part of the Andes Mountains, north of Lake Titicaca in which country?
9. Two of the countries in northern South America share a large plains region known for cattle ranching and a particular type of music called "joropo". One of these countries is Colombia. Which is the other?
10. Three countries in South America have national flags consisting of an upper yellow stripe followed by blue and red stripes. Called the tri-color pattern, the three are slightly different. Which of the three contains no other adornment apart from the three stripes?
Source: Author shuehorn
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.