Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In the Springfield Elementary school production episode, the song "We Are the Mediocre Presidents" taught me about some of America's lesser-known leaders. Which "adequate, forgettable" president features in this song and claims to have "died in 30 days"?
2. In the episode "22 Short Films About Springfield", Chief Wiggum is aghast when Lou tells him that McDonald's has "shakes" instead of the "partially gelatinated, non-dairy, gum-based beverages" that they sell at Krusty Burger. Though I wouldn't realise until several years later, this was a parody of a scene involving characters played by John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson. In which 1994 Quentin Tarantino film did this scene take place?
3. The episode "Flaming Moe's" has many allusions to another older TV show, which I only discovered after watching this episode. Which TV show is this, which features the characters Sam, Dianne, and Norm?
4. In "You Only Move Twice", there are several references to James Bond. In this episode, Hank Scorpio tells a Sean Connery-type figure "I don't expect anything from you, except to die and be a very cheap funeral". This is a line paraphrased from which "James Bond" film?
5. In "Deep Space Homer", Homer (as an "everyman") flies into space in order to regain public interest in the Space Programme. This episode also featured the second man to set foot on the moon as one of Homer's crew members. Who is this man?
6. Though also the maiden name of John F. Kennedy's wife, I first encountered this name when introduced to Marge's mother in the episode "Moaning Lisa". What name is this?
7. In "A Streetcar Named Marge", Marge is cast as Blanche DuBois and Ned Flanders is Stanley Kowalski (all names I have since used to make educated guesses whilst watching TV quiz shows). On which author's work is this episode based?
8. In the episode "Lemon of Troy", Bart and his chums declare war on the kids of Shelbyville after the prized lemon tree is stolen from Springfield. Which legendary conflict, involving Paris, Hector, and Achilles, is this episode a parody of?
9. In "I'm With Cupid", Apu and Manjula get into an argument. With it nearing Valentine's Day, Apu exclaims "seven chances to prove my love to sweet Manjula", to which Homer replies "mmm, sweet mint julep". What is a mint julep?
10. Drederick Tatum is a parody of Mike Tyson and appears in several episodes of "The Simpsons". His manager, Lucius Sweet, is also based on a real person. On which famous boxing promoter, known for his high grey hair, is Lucius Sweet based?
Source: Author doublemm
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.