Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In Punjabi weddings, the bridal couple's families first meet to formally commit to the marriage. This ceremony is called the Rokka and is followed by the exchanging of gifts.
Once the marriage has been fixed, how is the wedding date chosen by traditional Hindu families?
2. Another pre wedding ceremony is the sangeet in which both the bride and groom's families get together to sing and dance. Which traditional dance is common during Gujarati sangeet functions?
3. Karva chaut is a festival usually celebrated by married women in north India, though even betrothed women may join in. Which celestial body is worshipped during this festival?
4. Coming to the actual wedding, the groom and his family set off for the wedding venue in a procession called the baraat accompanied with a lot of singing, dancing and bursting of fireworks. Which animal was the traditional mode of transport used by the groom?
5. Most Indian weddings involve the bride and groom exchanging garlands before the actual ceremony. What is unique about this ritual in a Tamil wedding?
6. During the wedding ceremony, the groom ties a chain around the bride's neck called the mangalsutra and later puts vermillion in the part of her hair known as sindoor. These are two of the five traditional symbols of a woman's marital status. Which of the following is NOT one of the remaining three?
7. While the bride and groom are sitting before the sacred fire to solemnize their union, what do the bride's sisters try to steal and hide?
8. Punjabi brides wear a set of red and white bangles called the chuda. Gold and silver ornaments called kaleeres are attached to the chuda and the bride then shakes the kaleeres over the heads of the unmarried girls in her family. What does it mean when it falls on a particular girl's head?
9. After the marriage ceremony, there may be a few games for the newlyweds. One of these involves a large dish filled with milk in which a ring and few coins are hidden. The bride and groom are both given a couple of chances to find the ring. The bride should always let the groom win this game.
10. Finally the bride reaches her marital home. Before the newlywed couple enters the house, the mother of the groom performs an aarti to welcome and bless the couple. Which of the following is NOT a traditional ritual that follows next?
Source: Author zorba_scank
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nannanut
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.