Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Hautes-Pyrenees contain a number of "Cirques", the French word for Circus. This is where the valley ends with a large mountainous amphitheatre-like wall, often with several waterfalls cascading over the top. Which Cirque, one of the most popular and accessible in the region, contains the highest waterfall in France?
2. Whilst enjoying the scenery at the less commercialised Cirque de Troumouse, you are quite likely to see, and most certainly hear the sharp whistles made by, these Pyrenean rodents. Name them.
3. Lourdes, famous for the visions seen by Bernadette Soubirous, also has other attractions to offer visitors. There is the 1000 year old and never defeated fortress called Lourdes Castle. Which of these will you NOT see at the castle?
4. Pont d'Espagne is an area of waterfalls and pine trees. From Pont d'Espagne you can follow the footpaths alongside the cascades or take the cable car up to Lake Gaube at 1725m. Imposing mountains form a backdrop to this lake, including the highest of the French mountains in the Pyrenees. What is the name of this mountain?
5. At a height of 2877m and dominating the northern edge of the central Pyrenees is which mountain, famous for its astronomical observatory?
6. The chief town in the Hautes-Pyrenees is Tarbes. What is the name of the river which flows through the town?
7. Luz St Sauveur is a small town which became a favorite spa destination for Emperor Napoleon III and his wife. Which Empress?
8. Ready for a climb? The highest road in the central Pyrenees is the Col du Tourmalet. This road is often used as a climbing stage on which well known French cycle race?
9. For a change we'll go underground. The Grottes de Betheram is an extensive network of caves with limestone deposits and waterfalls. A tour lasts about one hour twenty minutes, during which time you will encounter a number of different of modes of transport. Which will you NOT find?
10. What Spanish region is directly to the south of Hautes-Pyrenees department of France (i.e. the other side of the mountains)?
Source: Author jules44
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.