Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What local term is used to refer to the Okinawan language (Naha dialect)?
2. The Sakishima Islands refer to what two island groups in Okinawa?
3. Which is *NOT* a music band from Okinawa?
4. In the Battle of Okinawa, on what date did US ground forces land on the main island of Okinawa?
5. In the three-month long Battle of Okinawa approximately how many civilians were killed?
6. Of the approximately 160 islands in Okinawa, how many are inhabited by people?
7. Which major city is *NOT* within 1500 miles of Naha, the capital city of Okinawa?
8. Administratively, how many main island groups is Okinawa Prefecture divided into?
9. Which of the following terms was *NOT* a term used to refer to what is now Okinawa?
10. At the beginning of the 15th Century, Okinawa was divided into three kingdoms. These kingdoms were united into a unified state by Sho Hashi from 1406 to 1429. Thus began the first Sho Dynasty. Whom did Sho Hashi place on the throne to begin this dynasty?
11. The sanshin, a popular musical instrument in Okinawa, was first adopted from China at the end of the 14th Century. In the later half of the 16th Century it spread to mainland Japan where the name was Japanized to shamisen. How many strings does a sanshin have?
12. After the sanshin was adopted by Japan, the instrument as well as the name was slightly modified so that now there are several distinctive differences between the two. Which of the following is a characteristic found on the Okinawan sanshin, but not on the Japanese shamisen?
13. In what year did the Satsuma invade what is now Okinawa?
14. Shisa or Shishi are carved lions that can be found throughout Okinawa. Where would you most likely find one?
15. If you are performing Eisa, what might you be banging on?
Source: Author Uchinanchu
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.