Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In the National Eisteddfod, the highest prize is awarded for a poem in strict metre. What is this prize?
2. Written poetry in the Welsh language has been around for how long?
3. What is particular about the traditional Welsh harp?
4. Many Welsh placenames begin with the prefix 'Llan', as in Llanelli, Llanbynmair and Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantisiliogogogoch. What does 'Llan' mean?
5. Who was the mediaeval Welsh poet who is often thought of as the Welsh Shakespeare, but whose most famous poems are beautiful, strict metre bawdy romps?
6. Much of the modern confidence in the Welsh language has been attributed to the establishment of S4C. What is it?
7. A major youth movement was established in the 1920's to develop leisure activities, cultural events and educational experiences for young people in the Welsh language. It is now one of the largest membership organisations of its kind in Europe. What is it called?
8. Approximately what percentage of the people of Wales speak Welsh?
9. Which monarch passed the Act of Union that stated that the Welsh language should be 'utterly extirped'?
10. John Davies, Gwyn Alf Williams, Glanmor Williams and David Williams have all written significant books on what?
Source: Author wynbert
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor minch
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.