Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This cyclone struck Darwin in Australia's north on Christmas Eve in 1974. It was considered Australia's most destructive (known) cyclone up until the 21st century.
It is doubtful that an actor with the given names 'Spencer Bonaventure' was involved in this disaster as he passed away in 1967, seven years before the cyclone hit.
Which cyclone shares its name with the surname of the aforementioned actor?
2. This ex-flame of both Britney Spears and Cameron Diaz shares his first name with a cyclone that hit both Papua New Guinea and Queensland (in Australia's north-east) in 1997.
Which cyclone killed 25-30 people (depending on the source) in Papua New Guinea before killing five at sea in a yacht then two more in Australia? (As an extra hint, this singer/actor's surname is made up of wood and water ...)
3. This American poetess died almost 100 years before this cyclone hit Queensland. The cyclone caused minimal damage on land but took the lives of eight seamen between the southern and central Queensland coasts. The category four cyclone crossed the coast in March of 1972. This name-sharing poetess lived for 55 years (1830-1886). If I told you the poetess had a surname of 'Dickinson', would you know the name of this cyclone?
4. Both famous person and cyclone in this question may not be all that well-known but both are familiar to me!
This category four cyclone passed by my hometown of Perth (Western Australia) not long before I was born in the late 70s (we'll leave my age at that!). Being just after the end of summer, this cyclone resulted in fires which burned 114,000 of forest and farmland.
The famous person is someone I remember watching on TV with my dad as I grew up in the 80s. This intrepid adventurer was known for his 'World Safari' travel films and the myriad different women who accompanied him on those travels - although the unusually high number of women companions is may not be so large when the viewer realizes that the films were made over several years and not weeks! I'll also tell you this explorer's surname is 'Mangels'.
Can you find the common name between this famous person and cyclone?
5. Damaging 85 percent of houses in Port Hedland (north Western Australia) and hitting in 1975, this category five cyclone damaged property in excess of $25 million. Plenty of sheep lost their lives yet thankfully no humans.
The famous person this cyclone shares its name with is an English actress and author who spent eight years in front of the camera on TV's 'Dynasty'. She has sold more than 50 million copies of her books and has had them translated into 30 languages. It is unclear as to whether her favourite drink is a Tom Collins?
Can you match the famous person with the cyclone?
6. George Welles was more commonly known by his middle name which he shares with this cyclone that held the record (until the end of the 21st Century) for the lowest pressure ever recorded in the eye of a cyclone to hit Australia of 905 hPa (ABC News website). In 1989 this cyclone crossed the Western Australian cost west of Karratha and at least four lives were lost near Ashmore Island.
For a further hint, if I mention 'The War of the Worlds' will you know the name of this director/actor/producer, and consequently the name of this cyclone?
7. This cyclone crossed the coast of Queensland near Innisfail in 2006 and apart from damaging 10,000 homes and making a huge mess for farmers, I can specifically remember the price of bananas going through the roof! This cyclone shares its name with an actor known for playing JR Ewing in 'Dallas' in the 1980s, and Major Anthony (Tony) Nelson in 'I Dream of Jeannie' in the 1960s. What is the first name of this actor and the name of this cyclone?
8. This 2005 cyclone was unusual for Australia in that it went through three states. It crossed the Queensland coast as a category two storm before crossing into the Northern Territory as a category four then into Western Australia as a category four cyclone (after crossing the Tiwi Islands as a category three).
The Swedish actress that his cyclone shares its name with won three Academy Awards, two Emmys and a Tony award. This actress passed away in 1982 and with her surname being 'Bergman', can you tell me the name of this cyclone?
9. This 1995 category four cyclone crossed the Western Australian coast near Onslow after sinking two fishing trawlers and causing widespread damage. Seven people died with one of those drowning whilst attempting to cross a flooded creek.
The famous singer/songwriter sharing his name with this cyclone has gone through a lot of disaster in his own life - although it could be suggested that he was the cause of a lot of it! He married Whitney Houston in 1992 with their marriage being dissolved in 2007. It would be interesting to know if his favourite colour is brown?
Which cyclone matches the given name of this famous person?
10. This category four cyclone hit Queensland in 1971 and at the time was considered to be one of the strongest cyclones to hit the area. Magnetic Island had 90 percent of its houses either damaged or destroyed. Ms Gibson, who shares her given name with this cyclone, was the first African-American to compete on the world tennis tour and the first to win a Grand Slam title (French Open - 1956).
Which Ms Gibson shares her name with this cyclone?
Source: Author lones78
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.