Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. A few weeks ago, I tried an authentic Mexican restaurant in my home town. The waiter recommended "tacos de lengua", something I had never heard of before. What eloquent part of a cow is used to make this dish?
2. On my first trip to New Orleans, I was keen on trying its famed Cajun cuisine. At the restaurant where I went for dinner, the dish of the day was gumbo made with the meat of which rather fearsome creature?
3. Last year I was visiting the beautiful Italian city of Parma, and the waiter at the restaurant where I stopped for dinner recommended "pesto di cavallo" - a local version of steak tartare made with the meat of which noble animal?
4. Visiting Finland has always been one of my dreams. At a nice Helsinki restaurant, the waiter suggested I try "poronkäristys". What is the main ingredient of this popular Finnish dish? Rudolph and his friends would definitely not be happy about it!
5. As I don't do low-carb, any food with "bread" in its name is sure to have my attention. However, when once in beautiful Wales I ordered laverbread, imagine my surprise when I was brought a dark green mass that bore no resemblance to my favourite food. What is the main ingredient of laverbread?
6. Once, while traveling through Kentucky, I stopped at a roadside restaurant, where the waiter recommended a local dish - a stew that is often made with squirrel, opossum and raccoon, as well as other more commonly used meats. What is this dish's name?
7. During my stay in Cornwall, in a lovely pub on the coast I ordered "stargazy pie", but was rather shocked when the dish was brought to my table. What is the most distinctive feature of this dish?
8. During a trip to the Spanish city of Valencia, I wanted to try something different from the usual paella. When I ordered "arroz negro", I was brought a plate of rice with a rather unappetizing black colour. What gives the dish its distinctive dark hue?
9. I was dumbfounded when the waiter at this new Chinese restaurant in my neighbourhood recommended a dish named "Ants Climbing a Tree". Is this dish as alarming as its name suggests?
10. Once I was in Poland, and the weather was very cold. When I sat down for dinner, all I wanted was something hot, so my waiter recommended I try "czernina". What is the main ingredient of this traditional Polish soup? Dracula might like it!
Source: Author LadyNym
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.