Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The term mushroom is typically used to describe fungi that have three main parts. These parts include the stem, cap, and which other part that can also be found on a fish?
2. The cap is one of the easiest ways to identify a mushroom. Possibly the most well-known shape is exemplified by the button mushroom with its hemispherical arrangement. What is the more common name for this shape that looks similar to the human eye?
3. A particular type of mushroom is unique in that it does not have an open cap with spore-producing gills. With a name like a cheesy potato chip, what mushroom variety is named based on how its spores are emitted like dust upon contact?
4. One popular type of mushroom has a network of ridges that form a honeycomb shape. Valued in gourmet cooking, what type of mushroom should never be eaten raw as it contains hydrazine toxin?
5. While it is commonly used as a synonym for mushrooms in general, this term is more accurately used to describe inedible and poisonous mushrooms with an umbrella shape. What is this fungal term that shares part of its name with a video game character created by Nintendo?
6. A popular mushroom from East Asia grows on the decaying wood of deciduous trees. What is the name for this edible mushroom that has been used in Japan since 1985 to help patients with gastric cancer?
7. While most mushrooms are ingested as food some mushrooms are capable of causing hallucinations. Which of the following is a psychedelic compound that has been identified in over 100 species of so-called magic mushrooms?
8. By 2016 about 14,000 species of mushrooms had been identified. What term is used to describe individuals that study and classify fungi such as mushrooms?
9. In common language the term mushroom is used to describe something that grows extremely fast. Comprising about 90% of the composition of many mushroom species, the absorption of what causes mushrooms to grow at alarming rates in certain environments?
10. One popular method of eating mushrooms is to place toppings like crab, bread crumbs, and cheese inside the cap. Also used as a method to prepare a Thanksgiving turkey, what is the common term for this type of mushroom preparation?
Source: Author Triviaballer
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.