Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has established specific safety items that must be on board every recreational boat, such as having a life preserver (jacket/vest) for every passenger. Which of the items listed below is usually NOT required?
2. Unlike cars, boats and planes move around a vertical axis that controls the entire vessel. This movement or axis is referred to as:
3. Many boaters usually carry a signal flag to let other boaters know if they are in distress. This flag is approximately 3 ft by 3 ft and has the following attributes:
4. If someone was to say that they are going 'aft', where are they going?.
5. Where is the 'bilge' on a boat?
6. When traveling in the main body of a (reasonably small) lake, which direction should you be going?
7. If someone were to say they are on the 'starboard' side of the boat, where are they?
8. When running a boat through the water, it will create waves on the surface. The faster you go, the bigger waves you will create. What is this water disturbance known as?
9. For the past decade, the US has averaged between 500 and 700 recreational boating deaths a year, the vast majority from drowning. According to the USCG, what percentage of the drowning victims did NOT have a life vest on?
10. Many people prepare a checklist before they go boating as there are many important items that should be thought about. Which simple item that should be on that checklist is often overlooked, directly contributing to the sinking of many small recreational boats?
Source: Author HarryTripper
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.