Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Cut from tenderloin, these are the most tender steaks one can buy. Do not marinate and avoid overcooking.
2. Originally served in pubs, this is a large, flavorful steak cut from the short loin, nearest to the sirloin. The tenderloin portion of this steak can be served as filet mignon.
3. Do not confuse this one with ordinary sirloin, which includes a bone. It is great marinated and grilled. This steak can also be substituted with a nice tri-tip roast.
4. Which steak is easily identified by its bone?
5. When the tenderloin strip has been removed from the short loin, the remaining steak is called what?
6. What is the best recommended way to prepare a T-Bone steak?
7. Which of the following is NOT a USDA standard for grading steak before it can be sold?
8. In reference to all steaks, what does the term "marbling" signify?
9. How old must "Grade A" Maturity beef (for steak use) be, according to the USDA?
10. Which of the following is generally true about grain-fed beef as compared to grass-fed beef?
11. How long have USDA standards existed in the beef industry?
12. Upton Sinclair wrote a book in 1906 that exposed the corrupt and unsanitary US meatpacking industry and stockyards so vividly that beef (and particularly steak) prices plummeted 95 per cent for about three years. What was the title of the book?
13. If one orders a steak, he or she notices that upon cutting into it, there is a slight amount of blood and a pinkness in the middle. This steak has been cooked in what fashion?
14. Kobe beef is considered to be a world delicacy when served as a steak. From where does it originate?
15. Which US cattle are considered to be the best domestic (farm raised, not roaming free) steak producers?
Source: Author Zeron7
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.