Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Rin wakes to a frigid winter dawn. She opens the curtains of her bedroom window and stares out onto a snowy yard. The streets are solid ice, and she dreads the drive to work that lies ahead of her. Even inside the warmth of her home, Rin knows how frigid outside is today. She gets ready for the day and when she leaves, she wears a heavy winter coat, gloves, and scarf, so as not to freeze to death on her way to her car. A storm the night before had brought in the snow and the ice.
What is the weather that brought on the snow and ice called?
2. Rin makes it safely to her car, after some slipping and sliding on the ice. She heads slowly off to work. On the way to work her car skids and fish tails, sending both woman and machine sailing into the car in the next lane. She gets out to assess the damage. She and the other driver are unscathed, but both cars are dented. The driver of the other car has lost his cool. Rin tries to get to him calm himself before he completely blows a gasket.
Which of the following "cool" phrases would Rin NOT have said to the other driver if she means "calm down", as she attemps to reduce his anger?
3. Rin settles with the other driver, and after a few more uneventful skids, finally makes it into work. She pulls out a few files of open investigations and reads through some of the pages. Rin's boss calls her into his office and gives her a file. The crime in question had been put on the back burner and filed away when the investigation team hit a dead end five years ago. Yesterday, new information surfaced regarding the old murder investigation and the Chief wants Rin on the job. She is to head out immediately and get started investigating the new lead.
What kind of file did the Chief give Rin, an old investigation where the trail had gone cold?
4. Rin leaves the Chief's office and heads back to her own to look through the file and get her self caught up to speed on the the details of the investigation since she wasn't on the original team. She flips through original autopsy notes, lab reports, evidence forms, and crime scene photos. She reads through the entire report and the new testimony that had been given. The victim was shot point blank and there was no evidence that the victim had anything with which to defend herself. The report made Rin's skill crawl and the hair on the back of her neck to stand on end.
What is it called when someone is killed cruelly and without feeling?
5. Rin decides to head out to the old crime scene to look at it with fresh eyes, and to retrace the steps of the original team. Her plan is to talk to old witnesses and personally re-examine evidence with the new information in mind. She arrives at the warehouse where the original crime took place. She walks into the attached offices and is told she must wait in the lobby for the manager. She is to be accompanied by the manager to the warehouse, so that he may let her in, lock up after her, and keep an eye on her while she works. Rin is anxious to get started.
Which "cool" phrase below best describes Rin's wait in the office?
6. Rin follows the manager through the offices and into the warehouse. They head back to one of the loading docks where the manager says the murder took place. Rin checks her file to confirm the manager's statement. They stop outside the door and the manager tells Rin she can go in and check the dock on her own. Stepping through the door, a gruesome scene awaits her. It appears no one had cleaned the scene after the case was closed five years previously. Rin turns back to the door she entered to ask the manager about the mess and sees that she has been locked in. Rin's not the panicking type, so she continues to work.
Which of the following would NOT describe the demeanor of Rin during her current predicament?
7. Rin hears a scuffing noise behind her while she's examining the scene. She turns and sees a dark form in the shadows of the crates that line the back wall. Her heart skips a beat as she realizes what she has gotten herself into by coming out to the docks alone. Her body now reacts to the situation as she watches the figure slowly move in the shadows. Rin draws her weapon and tries to make herself appear calm, though her insides are gripped with fear.
Which of the following describes Rin's attempt to appear calmer than she really is?
8. Rin steps toward the crates and drops her weapon as the figure appears out of the shadows. It is just loose tarp moving in the breeze off the docks and scraping against the side of the crate to which it is attached. Rin now realizes she has gotten herself worked up into a cold sweat, and it is all for nothing. Rin stands there on the docks, cursing herself for her fear and for her idiocy in coming out onto the docks alone. The fact that her terror was only caused by a cloth tarp is good news but offers her little consolation to the situation at hand.
What is this feeling that Rin is experiencing of having little consolation?
9. Rin tires of her solo investigation of the docks and decides to return later with back-up. She collects her case file and her bag, which had both dropped to the floor in her panic, and walks to the closed door from which she'd entered. She raps on the door and waits. The manager opens the door and stares blankly at her, showing no emotion or sympathy and not appearing to notice her obvious fright at all.
Which "cold" term below does NOT describe someone like the manager, devoid of feelings and emotions?
10. Rin brushes past the cold manager, without a word, consumed in her thoughts. Giving the manager a cold shoulder and leaving him out in the cold, she makes her way back to her car, and heads back to the police station. She drops the file and her bag in an empty chair in her office, and sits down at her desk. The heater in her car broke on the way back to the station leaving her to freeze her tail off on the drive. As she is collecting her thoughts she starts coughing, and she realizes her nose is running.
What did Rin catch on her winter day?
Source: Author kaddarsgirl
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor looney_tunes
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.