Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This last line of a Spencerian stanza has six iambs rather than five. Alexander Pope wrote the most famous example: "That like a wounded snake, drags its slow length along." You might think the line was named for him, but the name is much older. What is it called?
2. The last two lines of a Shakespearian sonnet must rhyme and sum up the rest of the poem. What are the final two lines called?
3. The Italian sonnet is divided into two sections, the first eight lines which set up the situation or problem, and the final six lines, which resolve the problem. What is the name of the "turn" which makes the transition to the ending?
4. Blank verse lacks something at the end of each line that other kinds of poetry have. What does blank verse lack?
5. An anapest is a foot of poetic meter that begins with two unaccented syllables. How does it end?
6. The villanelle is a challenging poetic form of nineteen lines. The final two lines, called "refrains," come from where?
7. The sestina is an unusual and challenging poetic form. The final three lines are called the envoi or tornada. Because the sestina relies on the repetition of words at the end of lines rather than rhymes, in a classic sestina the final three lines must include what?
8. The rondeau has many forms, but a classic form is the 15-line version with a rentrement. "In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae is probably the most famous English poem in that form. The rentrement requires the last line of the poem to come from where?
9. The limerick may seem like a silly poetic form, but it does require strict adherence to some rules. For example, in the modern limerick, the final line must rhyme with what other line(s)?
10. The English language haiku consists of three lines, measured in syllables. The first line has five syllables, while the second line is the longest, with seven syllables. How long is the last line?
Source: Author littlepup
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor looney_tunes
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.