Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which of these was a prolific 17th century Baroque painter from Antwerp? 'The Raising of the Cross' and 'The Massacre of the Innocent' are just two of his many masterpieces.
2. This man is known as the founder of modern human anatomy and is also the author of 'De Humani Corporis Fabrica', a 700-page book describing the entire human anatomy.
3. A former cyclist, regarded as the greatest and most succesful cyclist of all time. He was three times world champion, five times winner of the Tour de France and five times winner of the Giro d'Italia and also won 28 Classic Cycle Races.
4. Born in Ghent in 1861 this architect and designer is one of the most important names in European Art Nouveau. The Hotel Tassel and Hotel Solvay are among his major art nouveau buildings. He was also depicted on the 2,000 Belgian franc note.
5. A 19th century writer who was a pioneer in writing in Dutch in a time when Belgium was a primarily French-speaking country. 'The Lion of Flanders' was his first great succes and it still holds its place as one of his masterpieces whose influence extended far beyond the strictly literary.
6. This 16th century cartographer was the first to use parallel lines of longitude on his maps. He also introduced the word 'atlas' for a bound collection of maps.
7. A Roman Catholic priest well known for his ministry to people with leprosy on Molokai. He succumbed to leprosy on the 15th of April 1889.
8. Son of an English father and Flemish mother this painter lived in Ostend for almost his entire life. He was an important influence on expressionism and surrealism.
9. A chemist who invented Velox photo paper and an inexpensive, nonflammable plastic named Bakelite, the first plastic that held its shape after being heated.
10. Which of these women is a former No.1 tennis player? She won the Masters twice (2002-2003) and the US Open (2005). She was engaged to Lleyton Hewitt, but their relationship ended before they got married.
Source: Author lala3630
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.