Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In the mid-eighteenth century, Jemmy Hirst of Rawcliffe in Yorkshire acquired a reputation for oddness. What animal did he ride when he took part in the local hunt?
2. Member of Parliament for Rose Hill in Sussex between 1801 and 1812, John 'Mad Jack' Fuller lived and died a larger than life character. If you were to break into his custom-made pyramidal mausoleum, how would you find his remains?
3. William Bentinck-Scott, 5th Duke of Portland, devoted much time and expense to his family seat, Welbeck Abbey in Nottinghamshire. What form did these improvements mainly take?
4. Although not quite as well known as his artistic children, Sir George, 4th Baronet Sitwell, was a talent in his own right. Which of these devices did he invent?
5. George Hanger, Baron Coleraine, lost £500 on a ten mile race between what?
6. This Victorian-era Scotsman, despite having no talent as an actor and even less as a poet, insisted on doing both. He was a great but unintentional success at one, and one of the English language's worst at the other. He was much loved by Spike Milligan. Who was he?
7. A great British military eccentric now. Amongst other, far more famous attributes, he brought back the military beard, carried an alarm clock with him wherever he went and preferred a vigorous all-over scrub with a toothbrush to bathing. He often conducted staff briefings while naked. His campaigns in Burma are famous to this day. Who was he?
8. Lisbon, 1813. A high-ranking British cavalry officer lies in a spray of broken glass, having jumped through a fourth floor window. His last words are 'Now why did I do that?'
Who was this famous bane of the Duke of Wellington?
9. The raconteur and London comedy club owner Malcolm Hardee famously stole what?
10. Finally, this unique and very English eccentric was, amongst other things, the front man of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, and creator of fictional British eccentric Sir Henry Rawlinson of 'Rawlinson End'. Who was he?
Source: Author spaceowl
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Snowman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.