Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Buckingham Palace is one of London's most famous landmarks. Who was born there in 1948?
2. Although she is famous for being one of the first writers of science fiction, Mary Shelley wrote novels in other genres, too. In which year was she born?
3. Born in Covent Garden in 1775 to a barber, this artist resolutely refused to abandon his roots or his Cockney accent. He revolutionised landscape painting and his stormy sea-scapes still provoke wonder. One of his most famous paintings is "The Fighting Temeraire". Which artist was this?
4. Jane Goodall became famous for her work on chimpanzees and animal behaviour. She spent a lot of time in Africa and earned a PhD in ethology (the study of animal behaviour). In which year was she born?
5. This singer and songwriter was born in Southgate, London, on 14 September 1983. In 2011, she joined the 27 club as a result of alcohol poisoning. Which jazz and soul singer had a public battle with addiction?
6. One man spent most of the 20th century in show business, dipping into a range of jobs along the way. Which man was born in London in 1903 and turned his hand to comedy, acting, singing, dancing, writing, and boxing?
7. This Titan of the screen was born in 1899 at Leytonstone, then on London's outskirts. He directed his first movie "The Pleasure Garden" in 1925. He had made "The 39 Steps" and "The Lady Vanishes" before moving to Hollywood. Becoming known as "The Master of Suspense", who kept us in a state of delicious terror at the movies?
8. The great Romantic poet John Keats was a famous Londoner. However, he spent the final years of his all too short life away from his home town. In which ancient European city did he die?
9. You're fired! Which East London billionaire business magnate became the star of "The Apprentice" in the UK in 2005?
10. One Londoner had racked up 81 caps for England before his retirement in 2015. After a football (soccer) career which included playing for West Ham United, Leeds United, and Manchester United, this man became a TV presenter and a pundit for football coverage. Who was he?
Source: Author AcrylicInk
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.