Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Much like Prince or Madonna, Rembrandt is most often referred to using one name. What significance does the name Rembrandt have to the man?
2. Considered one of the tribe of Baroque painters collectively titled "The Dutch Masters", he shares this honor with several people from the Netherlands. Who of these would NOT be one of the artists he could have worked with or close to, considering the times they lived?
3. Rembrandt made an attempt to further his education at the local university in the town he was born. Where did Rembrandt attend college?
4. Rembrandt worked in several different art forms over the course of his career. Which was NOT one of his most prominent genres he dabbled in?
5. What is one of Rembrandt's most prominent themes in his artwork, as many of his most famous paintings show?
6. Rembrandt's adult life was happily shared with his wife of 34 years, Saskia van Uylenburg. Although their life was occasionally tumultuous, much like many marriages, they remained married until Rembrandt's death.
7. Rembrandt owes much of his financial success to the secretary to the Prince of the Netherlands. The latter's discovery of Rembrandt's talent led to the Prince commissioning many works for a period of about 17 years. This secretary came from a prominent family in the Netherlands. What was their family name?
8. Although it is said 'those who can, do; those who can't, teach', this was not at all true for Rembrandt. His list of students who learned from him is incredibly extensive.
9. "The Militia Company of Captain Frans Banning Cocq" is the original name of one of Rembrandt's signature pieces. An oil painting painted approximately 1641, what is it more commonly known as today?
10. Successful as Rembrandt was, scientists may have determined he did suffer from a malady that would affect him greatly in his career. What was it that some scholars have determined Rembrandt was victim to?
Source: Author Spaudrey
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.