Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. I was working as a telegraph operator in Louisville, Kentucky in 1867, but my main focus was my experiments. I spilled some acid in the battery room which ate through the floor and damaged my manager's office below, and the next day I got a pink slip. I went on to become a well-known inventor and founded several successful businesses, including the General Electric Company. Who am I?
2. I remember the day I got a pink slip. I was a junior fashion editor for "Harper's Bazaar" in New York, but got fired just nine months into the job when my editor disagreed with my choices for a photo shoot. But I showed them when I became the editor-in-chief of "Vogue" in 1988. Which fashion icon am I?
3. I was working for Walt Disney Pictures in the 1980s until the day I got a pink slip for making short films that the studio felt were too scary for children. Ironically, 28 years later Disney would finance and distribute my full length stop-motion remake of "Frankenweenie", the last film I made before leaving the studio. Which film director am I?
4. I have gotten more than my share of pink slips in my life, having been fired from working as a farmhand, a railroad fireman, a lawyer, an insurance salesman, and a tire salesman. I eventually found my true calling when I began running a gas station and served American country cooking on the side, including the fried chicken I would become famous all over the world for. Which late-blooming restauranteur am I?
5. The day I got a pink slip was right before Christmas in the late 1930s. I got a job as an office boy for a pants manufacturer after graduating from high school, but I was let go after a few months when the firm decided they couldn't afford two errand boys, even though I was the better worker. I went on to become the president and chairman of Marvel Comics, and co-created Spider-Man, The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, the X-Men and The Fantastic Four. Who am I?
6. I still remember the day I got a pink slip. I was working as a screenwriter in the late 1970s and got fired from a job penning the screenplay for a Dolly Parton vehicle. I eventually left Hollywood altogether and became a successful author, best known for my series of "Alphabet Mysteries" about a female private eye named Kinsey Millhone. Which well-known writer of detective fiction am I?
7. It was a lovely June day in 1611 when I got a pink slip from the crew of my own ship. I was leading an expedition on the Discovery to find the Northwest Passage, when I fell victim to a mutiny that cast me, my son, and seven others adrift in the body of water that now bears my name. Which famous explorer am I?
8. I may have found fame and wealth as a successful entrepreneur and two-time heavyweight champion of the world, but I still remember the day I got a pink slip. I was fired from my temp job at a moving company for sleeping when I should have been working. Who am I?
9. I co-founded Apple Inc. with Steve Wozniak but I was pushed out of my own company in 1985, which is the same as getting a pink slip. I returned in 1997 when Apple purchased my new company NeXT. Which tech giant am I?
10. I graduated from Exeter University in 1986 with a degree in French and Classics, and worked various secretarial jobs, some of which I quit out of boredom, and some of which I endured until the day I got a pink slip. What I really wanted to be was a writer. I persevered and eventually published my first novel in 1997, about a young boy named Harry who discovered he was really a wizard. Which rags-to-riches success story am I?
Source: Author jmorrow
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.