Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. On the Opening Ceremony day for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, an athlete in what sport died tragically on a training run at the Olympic venue?
2. The 100m hurdles is an Olympic sprint race for women. Which high profile American bobsledder was winning the Olympic final in Beijing in 2008, until she clipped the penultimate hurdle and ended up finishing 7th?
3. The 1964 Winter Olympic Games claimed the life of two Olympic athletes - a British luger and an Australian skier. Where were these Olympic Games held?
4. With a silver medal in the 100m dash at the Seoul 1988 Olympic Games and a gold medal in the 100m dash at the Barcelona 1992 Olympic Games, which sprinter had a disaster in the 1996 Atlanta final when he was disqualified for two successive false starts?
5. Speed-skating has always generated drama at the Winter Olympics, but which athlete stunned the world by winning his country's first-ever Winter Olympics gold medal in 2002, when everyone in the field fell before the finish line?
6. With four miles remaining in the 2004 Athens Olympic marathon, the leader was literally tackled to the ground by a spectator. What country did this unfortunate athlete represent?
7. A team from what unlikely country debuted in the bobsled at the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary and, despite having fast starts, are best remembered for a spectacular crash on one of their qualifying runs?
8. Birhan Getahun, the All-African Champion from 2011, was escorted from the 2012 London Olympic track in a wheelchair after a crashing collision in what event?
9. In Calgary 1988, a plucky laborer from Great Britain became Great Britain's first ever international ski jumper, what was his name?
10. What British 400m sprinter is remembered most fondly for his disastrous 400m race at the 1992 Summer Olympics, in a race where he needed his father's help to get to the finishing line after tearing his hamstring?
Source: Author coachpauly
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.