Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Due to the tilt of the Earth's axis, there are only two seasons in the polar regions - which two?
2. Scientific bases on Antarctica depend on a short "warmer" season to allow ships to bring in supplies. Which are these warmer months?
3. Which polar region, North or South, enjoys a season when plants bloom?
4. Which polar celestial phenomenon peaks around the time of the equinoxes?
5. The U.S. Coast Guard leads 13 nations in the IIP. Which seasonal polar phenomenon does the IIP monitor?
6. Animals that live in the high latitudes can lose which natural rhythm, that depends on a cycle of light and dark in a 24-hour period?
7. What phrase is used to describe polar explorers who remain in the polar regions when travel is largely impossible due to weather?
8. What was the period of July 1957-December 1958 known as, a time of intense scientific study in the polar regions (as well as other places on the Earth)?
9. Which polar bird migrates inland in March, at the beginning of autumn, and leaves an egg in the care of the male, who remains with it until hatching in late winter (August)?
10. Piuraagiaqta is a spring festival on the North Slope of Alaska, which celebrates an event that allows natives to obtain one of their major sources of food. What event is this?
Source: Author wjames
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.