Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Before we begin celebrating, take a moment to think of the poor unfortunate souls on the other half of the planet who are languishing in winter while you enjoy summer. (Or, if instead you are plowing through winter while taking this, remember that somewhere out there, the other half is keeping summer alive for you.) Just to be sure you are thinking of others, please fill these blanks. Summer is June-August in the ______ hemisphere and December-February in the ______ hemisphere.
2. Many traditions exist around the world for summer's longest day. If you are dancing around a pole which locals call a midsommarstång, where is the celebration most likely being held?
3. Duanwu festival is a national Chinese holiday. The centerpiece of the festivities feature which type of races?
4. The town of Oatman, Arizona, in the USA holds an annual contest revolving around which of the following sayings, commonly heard in the summertime?
5. Perhaps you are looking for something a bit more sedate than the usual summer fare? If so the festival of Obon may be for you. It is a time to honor one's ancestors. It has grown to be celebrated all around the world but had its origins on which Pacific island nation?
6. In Ireland the Puck Fair features which wild (one might even say gruff) animal being crowned King for three days?
7. If you spend a summer night enjoying the sight of Perseids or Geminids streaking, what in the world are you doing?
8. In the summertime there is a good chance you might eat outside no matter where you live but if you get invited to a braai, where are you probably eating?
9. At the end of summer in Park City, Utah, comes Miners' Day. The centerpiece of the day's activities is the Running of the Balls (sic). Modelled after the similarly named and slightly better known event in Pamplona, Spain, daring locals sprint ahead of the onslaught of thousands of what items which are "running" toward them?
10. Finally, this quiz would not be complete without a nod to the song (of the same name) which, along with a challenge, inspired the quiz. All of the following are suggested by Mungo Jerry as things you could do "In the Summertime" except which one?
Source: Author namrewsna
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.