Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. OK, your pilot-wanna-be is off to pilot training. After a month of academics, he excitedly tells you he will have his very first ride in the jet tomorrow! This first ride in the jet is known by what other name?
2. Your guy has finally graduated from UPT (undergraduate pilot training), and has been able to earn the chance to go on as a fighter pilot. He's off to a short training course to learn basic fighter fundamentals before learning how to fly his specific jet. What do you call this short training course?
3. Next, your pilot is off to a half-year course on how to fly his specific fighter, like an F-16, F-15, A-10, etc. It can be a gruelling time, with lots of studying, not to mention learning how to "act" like a fighter pilot. What is the acronym for this training course?
4. While attending this training, there will be all kinds of new acronyms and terms to deal with. One of these describes the type of flying that a pilot must do when in a one-on-one dogfight with an enemy aircraft. What do you call this flying?
5. Your pilot is now an official Air Force fighter pilot, he has learned to fold the tell-tale little crease into his flight cap when he puts it on, and he is assigned to his operational fighter squadron. As the new guy, what will certainly be one of his most important jobs?
6. Your pilot is finally operational and one of the 'bros' at last. Now all he needs is another call sign. He will receive one during a "naming ceremony", which involves much beer and the ceremonial shot of alcohol. What is the name of this sacred, designated alcohol?
7. Back to the actual flying. When your pilot gets ready to go out on a sortie, he checks in at the Ops desk before heading out the door to the flightline. He may tell you that he was getting ready to _____ to the jet. What word is missing?
8. When your pilot is flying, he is often told by the flight lead to look behind him for enemy fighters. What is another way of saying, "look behind you"?
9. Many pilots complain about the subject of this next question, but they'd all be happy to have if it they needed it. What piece of clothing/equipment is your pilot required to wear when flying over or near water that is less than 60 degrees?
10. Finally, this question is for all the wives of fighter pilots out there. Imagine that your husband is watching a game on TV. Right next to him the baby is crying for a diaper change, the dog is scratching to go out, and he doesn't hear your repeated pleas for assistance from the kitchen. What flying term can we apply to your husband right now? What is he greatly lacking at this moment?
Source: Author djsgal
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Beatka
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.