Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Pilots love to fly what is commonly referred to as the 'sports car' of the Air Force. Match the plane!
2. Big aircraft are simply fascinating to witness flying. Have you ever seen a C-5 Galaxy float on final approach? They appear as if they are barely moving! Lift of course provides flight. Of the following, name the one with the <-- l o n g e s t --> wingspan!
3. An Air Force is only effective when it has the ability to support ground operations in combat. Which bomber can dump the biggest payload? (ordnance)
4. Speed. One of man's favorite goals. From foot to rocket, boat to aicraft. Speed has its strategic advantages as well. In air combat, the faster one is, the less vulnerable to attack. Of the following bombers, name the speed demon!
5. In the USAF's Light Weight Fighter (LWF) competition of the early '70s, the General Dynamic's YF-16 beat out Northrop's YF-17 (The original F/A-18!). This revolutionized world air combat. Now, why would we want to have a LWF competition in the first place?
6. One challenge for Air Forces is their ability to move the most cargo efficiently. Defying gravity isn't exactly easy, so select among the following the aircraft that can support the most weight!
7. U.S. armed forces show, and demand, an unmatched devotion to fallen and/or injured comrades. Thus, significant emphasis is on Medivac, or Medical Evacuation (Transport). Which of the following aircraft serves the needs of our (U.S.'s) scathed, brave warriors?
8. A 'helo' question. Sikorsky's Blackhawk helicopter was immortilized with the Acadamy Award winning film 'Black Hawk Down'. Name the USAF's version of this awesome helicopter!
9. The U.S. Military, including the USAF, typically strive for quality over quantity. Quantity has its rightful advantages; the ability to overwhelm an enemy through so many targets, the higher number of mission-capable aircraft, and the more airplanes, the less they cost. Name the most numerous airframe in the USAF's inventory of the early 2000s!
10. Everyone likes new airplanes! Exponential military technology growth demands that aircraft be conceived even before they are needed. Name the rookie airplane in the USAF's arsenal for which Lockheed was awarded a contract in 2002!
Source: Author jeff16falcon
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor thejazzkickazz
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.