Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. We join our fighter pilot as he is mission-ready and in the jet. When he is ready to launch a missile or bomb during a sortie, he says he's getting ready to "_____" it. What's the missing word?
2. Say the pilot has successfully launched his bomb or missile, and not only has it come close to the target, but has hit it dead-on. The pilot will say it's a "_______", or he "_____ed" it, and he will be thrilled, as he has earned some bragging rights at the bar later. What's the word that goes here?
3. The pilot is way happy to have hit his target perfectly, but he must keep his mind on his flying. Sometimes a malfunction or overload on the jet will occur, and if it does, his in-flight computer will tell him so. The computer has an authoritative female voice that tells him "Over G", or "Warning", etc. Of course no one wants to hear this voice, and she has been given a name...what is it?
4. Often a pilot in a higher speed jet (F-16, F-15, etc) will be required to fly past the speed of sound. When the pilot reaches this speed, a shock wave is formed and reverberates around the surrounding area. What is this loud phenomenon called?
5. Now our pilot has landed and debriefed, and makes his way into the squadron bar for some relaxing camaraderie. He and his pals may play a game at the pool table that involves two teams and the cue ball, but not the cue sticks. What is the name of this rowdy, physical game?
6. While at the bar, a pilot may also be subjected to a "coin check". This is a term that means that if one pilot at the bar takes out a token squadron coin, all other pilots must show the same coin or be subjected to humiliation and the purchase of drinks for the other pilots. The pilots, of course, don't call a coin a "coin", they call it an RMO. What does RMO stand for?
7. Often times, pilots can get quite rowdy after an evening at the bar, and they might venture out to someone's home and perform a certain type of ritual there. After the ritual is performed, the occupants of the house will invite the pilots in (you have to be a good sport if it's your house) for beer and munchies. What is this ritual called?
8. If a pilot has not previously coordinated this night out with his buds, he may have to give his wife a call to let her know his plans. The pilot laughs with his friends about it, telling them that he needed to call her to get a _________. What does the pilot need from his wife? (Think nicely, now!)
9. Here's one of my favorite pilot terms. If a pilot has gone on a cross country trip in his jet and the jet breaks at a location away from his base, he often times must fly home on a commercial jet. It's not an ideal way to get home, and the pilots have a name for a commercial jet that they must ride in. What do they call it?
10. After a particulary demanding sortie that day, our pilot may notice that he has many small, red dots on his skin. These are a result of the forces inflicted on his body during high G maneuvers. What do pilots call these small red dots?
Source: Author djsgal
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.