Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. When it entered service in 1960, the Convair B-58 was the world's fastest strategic bomber. By what nickname was the B-58 known?
2. For many years, the McDonnell Douglas C-9A served as the U.S. Air Force's primary aeromedical evacuation aircraft. What nickname was given to this angel of mercy?
3. North American's A-5 was one of the largest aircraft to see regular carrier-based duty in the U.S. Navy. By what nickname was this amazing aircraft known?
4. Boeing's E-6 is used by the U.S. Navy as an airborne command post, to relay instructions to its fleet of ballistic-missile submarines. By what nickname is this versatile aircraft known?
5. Though primarily a cargo aircraft, the Fairchild C-119 was also used in other variations as a tactical gunship and as a satellite-tracking aircraft. By what nickname was this unusual-looking aircraft known?
6. Northrop's T-38 has served for many years as the primary supersonic training aircraft of both the U.S. Air Force and NASA. By what nickname is this nimble, two-seat aircraft known?
7. Originally tasked to be a long-range bomber escort, McDonnell Douglas's F-101 wound up serving in other roles, most notably as a continental air defender and reconnaisance platform. By what nickname was this aircraft known?
8. Variants of Boeing's F/A-18E/F are slated to replace several different carrier-based aircraft in the U.S. Navy arsenal, including the F-14 Tomcat fleet defense fighter and the A-6 Intruder attack plane. By what nickname is this aircraft known?
9. Built jointly by Bell Helicopters Textron and Boeing, the V-22 was designed to meet the needs of the modern U.S. military, with its unusual tilt-rotor, vertical and short field take off and landing design. What nickname was given to this aircraft, which entered service with both the U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Air Force in 2006?
10. The first member of the famed Century Series of jet fighters, the North American F-100 was the first aircraft in the U.S. inventory to achieve supersonic speeds in level flight. What nickname was given to this legendary aircraft?
Source: Author cag1970
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.