Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The first person that I speak to seems to think that I'm trying to 'earn the flitch' and explains to me what should be done - apparently, "in twelvemonth and a day" a married couple must swear, that awake or asleep, they have "not wish't themselves unmarried again". A tough call, eh? This takes place periodically in the town of Great Dunmow in Essex. What do you win?
2. The next person I speak to appears to think that I am saying 'fern the bitch' and eagerly tries to sell me the book 'Where the Red Fern Grows'. With apologies for turning the noun into a verb, what is the name of the bitch (female dog) whose grave was 'ferned'?
3. Unfortunately the next person I speak to seems to think that I have begun to 'gurn and twitch' and advises me to consult a doctor immediately as I have obviously been taking the drug MDMA. What is 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine more commonly known as?
4. The next person seems to believe that I want to 'turn to rich' and starts telling me a cautionary tale about some king who wanted to turn everything he touched to gold - what is the name of this king?
5. The next person I talk to, even though I speak as clearly as possible, seems to think that I want to 'learn to skritch'. Which famous beagle enjoyed being 'skritched' on the head by his master, who he referred to as 'the round-headed kid'?
6. Not again! This time someone thinks I need to 'turn a hitch'. Given that a hitch is a sort of knot used to tie a rope to something else, can you spot the hitch that I have made up?
7. I'm still not getting anywhere - the next person I talk to seems to think I am confirming directions somewhere and agrees that I should 'turn at the lych'. What, in Britain, is a lych gate the traditional entrance to?
8. I just can't be speaking clearly enough. The next person thinks I am asking how to 'earn a stitch'! What is not likely to be a cause of a side (or anywhere else) stitch when exercising?
9. At last someone understands the first word - admittedly they think I want to 'burn the snitch', but it's progress of a sort. In the unlikely event that I did want to burn a snitch, what would I not be setting fire to?
10. At last, someone who understands that what I want to purchase a song! The trouble is, I've been on the telephone so long that I've forgotten which artist(s) sang 'Burn the Witch'...please can you tell me?
Source: Author Quiz_Beagle
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Exit10
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.