Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Adelaide is the English form of the old German name Adelheid. Which of the following names is also related to Adelaide?
2. The French name Louis and the German name Ludwig share a common etymology.
3. Compound names (think Marilou!) have come in and out of popularity through the years in many languages. Which of the following compound names is of Italian origin?
4. Jane is an English feminine form of John. John comes from the Latin Iohannes and Greek Ioannes, themselves derived from the Hebrew Yochanan. Which of the following names is also related to Jane?
5. Elizabeth is a very well-known name, with variants all around the world. Which of the following names is a form of Elizabeth?
6. Katherine is the modern English form of the Greek Aikaterine, of still uncertain etymology. Which of the following names is NOT derived from Katherine?
7. Do you know your nicknames? Libby, Betty, Elsa, Lisa, Bess, and Buffy are all nicknames for which of the following names?
8. Peggy, Gretel, and Maisie are all nicknames for which of the following names?
9. Winfred is a masculine form of the feminine name Winifred.
10. Mary and its nicknames aren't the only ways to honor the Virgin Mary via a daughter's first name. In some languages, including Spanish, words that refer to her are also used. Which of the following groups of names are all used in reference to the Virgin Mary?
Source: Author carmeller
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nannanut
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.